Sunday, November 1, 2009

The Truth Project--Philosophy and Ethics

This morning, we watched the second half of "Tour 2" in The Truth Project DVD Series. Some of you asked about the ten questions asked by the Barna Group in their survey that was referenced in the first half of this program. Here is the response I found on The Truth Project website:
"Re: In tour 2 our class wants to know what the 10 questions were that were in the survey that only 4%-9% HAD A BIBLICAL WORLDVEIW
From FAQ #24307:
Good Question.


I spoke with the folks at Barna, because I could not find the "Survey" online. They were very helpful. Here's what they shared with me.


Below is a list of questions we use to qualify whether or not someone really looks at the world through Christian eyes or not. We call this a Biblical worldview. If they don't strongly agree (or if they disagree with any of thestatements) then they don't have a Biblical worldview - as defined by The Barna Group. The five optional responses for each statement are - strongly agree, somewhat agree, somewhat disagree, strongly disagree, don't know:


Here are the statements:


I believe that absolute moral truth exists


I believe the source of moral truth is the Bible


I believe the Bible is accurate in all of the principles it teaches


I believe that eternal spiritual salvation cannot be earned


I believe that Jesus lived a sinless life on earth


I believe that every person has a responsibility to share their religious beliefs with others


I believe that Satan is a living force, not just a symbol of evil


I believe that God is the all-knowing, all-powerful maker of the universe who still rules that creation today."



I hope this information is helpful as you consider the implications of the programs we have watched for the past two weeks. I found the comparison between morality--what is, and ethics--what ought to be, a very interesting topic. Isn't it true that we often fall into the trap of assuming "what is" to be normal and right? Dr. Tackett encouraged us to embrace the guidance offered by Romans 12:2, "And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, so that you may prove what the will of God is, that which is good and acceptable and perfect."

NEXT WEEK: We are looking forward to having the Waysons speak to our class next week. This couple is recently home from their missionary service in China. I know they will bless us with their testimony. Also, please keep in mind that our class has been asked to sponsor a missions luncheon for the month of November. Dr. Scasta will be passing the offering plate next week in order to collect money for this purpose. Our goal is to collect $150 in order to fund the luncheon. I hope you will seek the Lord's will and will come to class prepared to support this effort if you are led to do so. Have a great week.

No comments:

Post a Comment